+1-888-308-5802      . .

Tesla secures USD 4 billion worth deal with Samsung to supply cameras

Author : Pankaj Singh | Published Date : 2022-06-13 

Tesla secures USD 4 billion worth deal with Samsung to supply cameras

As per reliable sources, U.S. automotive giant Tesla Inc. has secured a deal worth USD 4 billion with Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. to supply cameras for the EV automaker's self-driving systems.

Samsung has successfully edged out Primax Electronics Ltd. and LG Innotek Co. Ltd. for this contract, but this isn’t the first time the Korean electronics giant has collaborated with the American automaker intending to manufacture parts for its vehicles.

In September last year, Samsung was offered a contract to supply Tesla with the next-generation Full Self-Driving (FSD) 4.0 processor, as well as a USD 436 million worth deal in July to supply camera modules for a new vehicle, which is speculated to be the Tesla Cybertruck.

According to the agreement, LG Innotek will continue to supply 20% of the cameras for Tesla's self-driving system, whereas Samsung would supply the majority of the other 80% units. Every Tesla model, including the Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, and the upcoming Cybertruck, are expected to feature these cameras.

Besides, these camera systems are crucial for Tesla since they are a vital aspect of the company's technological growth and would be used for the company’s Full Self Driving system to provide images for its neural nets over the current lidar or radar technologies.

In the latest generation of the FSD, Tesla is using 8 cameras with an anticipated megapixel of 1.2 million. Switching to Samsung cameras is likely to increase that number to five million megapixels, resulting in a significant improvement in image quality.

Despite recent claims that Tesla has filed to use a new radar system with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), this investment is reportedly a part of the company's plan to accomplish self-driving using only camera-based vision.

Source Credit:

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/news/tesla-secures-camera-module-supply-deal-worth-4-billion-with-samsung-41655013069650.html

About Author

Pankaj Singh . .

Pankaj Singh

Endowed with a post graduate degree in management and finance, Pankaj Singh has been a part of the online content domain for quite a while. Having worked previously as a U.K. insurance underwriter for two years, he now writes articles for fractovia.org and other online portals. He can be contacted at- [email protected] | https://twitter.com/PankajSingh2605

Related News

Moderna’s new bivalent booster stand strong against Omicron subvariants

Moderna’s new bivalent booster stand strong against Omicron subvariants

Published Date: 2022-06-24         Author: Pankaj Singh

As per reliable sources, Moderna Inc. announced that its modified COVID-19 vaccine induces a potent immune response against the Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 which have recently spread throughout the United States. Additionally, the biotech major expressed optimism that its bivalent vaccine, ... Read More>>

StashFin secures USD 270 million in fresh funding to expand its reach

StashFin secures USD 270 million in fresh funding to expand its reach

Published Date: 2022-06-23         Author: Pankaj Singh

Neo-banking startup StashFin has reportedly raised USD 200 million in debt by Fasanara Capital and Abstract Ventures, along with a USD 70 million equity capital led by San Francisco-based Uncorrelated Ventures. With the latest funding, the company is now valued at USD 800 million. The fundraising... Read More>>

British airline EasyJet to buy 56 aircraft from Airbus for USD 6.5 Bn

British airline EasyJet to buy 56 aircraft from Airbus for USD 6.5 Bn

Published Date: 2022-06-22         Author: Pankaj Singh

EasyJet plc is reportedly planning to buy about 56 Airbus SE’s A320neo air jets to honor its 2013 agreement with the European aircraft manufacturer, as well as upgrade its previous order to 18 new A321neo aircraft. According to the British airline, the proposed order, which is currently awa... Read More>>

© 2022 Fractovia. All Rights Reserved